Plans for the Topaz Museum began in 1991, when a local Delta family donated half of an original Topaz recreation hall they had purchased after Topaz closed. Since 1945 they had used it as a storage shed. An ad hoc committee, now known as the Topaz Museum Board, was formed to restore the building to its original wartime condition.
After sending requests for donations and receiving a gratifying response, work began on preserving and restoring the recreation hall which had been on Block 42 and was used as the Boy Scout meeting lodge during camp.
The restored recreation hall was dedicated in 1994 during a ceremony that included former Topaz internees, former Topaz administrative employees, and local Delta residents.
From those early years, the work continued with the Board buying 634 acres of the Topaz site that became a National Historic Landmark in 2007. The Board also bought land for the museum in Delta.
The Topaz Museum Board was incorporated as a 501(c)3 not-for-profit Utah corporation and adopted its mission statement to preserve the Topaz site and establish a permanent museum. The Topaz Museum opened in 2015 with an exhibit of artwork and then the historic exhibits opened in 2017. Thousands of visitors have come to the Topaz Museum to understand this bleak chapter in American history.